Portable, adjustable, 54-inch backboard, breakaway rim, price
3-piece round pole, little overhang, assembly
The 71524 XL Basketball System features a 54-inch Makrolon polycarbonate backboard with a ShatterGuard steel frame. The hoop adjusts between 7.5 to 10 feet with no increments. Included is a breakaway style rim, a 3.5 inch round pole, and built-in wheels for transportation. The pole is powder-coated and resistant to rust. The base has a capacity of 35 gallons. The 71524 XL is backed by a 5 year warranty. Dimensions: 56 x 34 x 12 inches ; 50 pounds
What To Like
- Portable. The built-in wheels allow for it to be moved without much trouble. This feature is ideal if you have limited space or don’t want to do a cement installation.
- Adjustable. While other portable hoops offered by Lifetime also adjust from 7.5 to 10 feet, this model can adjust infinitely instead of in increments. To adjust, simply squeeze the handle and lift or lower. Children under 10 in particular can benefit from this feature.
- 54-inch polycarbonate backboard. The size is large enough for a one or two car driveway. It also allows for bank shots from the side. Typically, the higher the price, the larger the backboard. Regulation size is 72 inches wide. The polycarbonate material is a pretty strong plastic that will be hard to break.
- Spring-back pro rim. This style of rim contains springs so it has give, which makes it suitable for dunking and hanging on it. Another effect is that the ball will bounce softer when shooting from long-range.
- Price. While not the cheapest hoop you will find, the price is still affordable for middle-income families.
What Not To Like
- 3-piece round pole. One of the downsides of a portable hoop is that the pole isn’t going to be as strong as an inground model. Of course, unless you are willing spend thousands. A square, one-piece pole is the best for performance.
- Little overhang. Only the high priced portable models have a lot of space from the pole to the backboard, so it’s not expected. But, it does decrease the chance of bumping into the pole while playing. Also, it allows for more play under the basket.
- Assembly. A few customers noted that it took in the 6-9 hour range to assemble. The complaint is that the instructions were hard to follow. The more people who help with the installation, the better.
The Lifetime 71524 XL brings a lot to the table. It has a 54-inch backboard, which is large enough for a 2 car driveway. The breakaway rim is ideal for dunking, and it can be raised or lowered to accommodate certain players. This hoop is suitable for children and adult players. For the price, this is a very solid hoop and has good quality overall.
Orders processed Through Amazon.com