I’m going to try something a little bit different in the format of these reviews. It makes sense for a page on the best pool basketball hoops to rank them all on one page. It makes for easier reading and sorting in your mind. At least it does for me. The other hoops are more specific with their details and it is important to have a page dedicated to each hoop. However, for pool basketball hoops, there are a few criteria that are consistent with all of these hoops that need to be explored. In looking for a basketball hoop for you pool, you should consider the following:
- Safety and Strength: If you have ever played basketball in the pool, especially with or as a teenager, you know that the games can get rough. There are no referees in pool basketball. It is fight and claw to get to the basketball hoop and jump over someone’s head to slam it. You are lucky if the hoop doesn’t fall into the pool, crushing down on an innocent player (or bench sitter). So with these reviews, we will consider the safety, durability and construction of the hoop.
- Rust Protection: No secret that you pool basketball hoop is going to be around water. You don’t want your hoop to rust out over a year and spill the rust stain all over your pool deck and into your pool. It also becomes a safety issue when you have rust in and around a pool and hoop. So let’s make sure you find yourself a basketball hoop that isn’t going to rust away.
- Assembly: If you are like me, assembling things is not your strong suit. I love to play ball, but I dread setting up a basketball hoop. With a pool hoop, you want something you can set up yourself without much time going into it.
- Look: What? You need a cool looking hoop to set up beside your pool. It is mandatory. You spent way too much on a house with a pool to put a doinker hoop that is ugly next to it. I will help you find a good looking hoop.
- Strong Rim: This goes along with #1 (Safety and Strength), however, it is a little bit different. Hoops and rims are two separate things. Let’s make sure you get a good sturdy rim to go along with your nice hoop.
Top 5 Pool Hoops in Order from the Best to the Worst
We are definitely going with the PoolSport as the #1 reviewed hoop. However, this doesn’t mean to stop scrolling down and reading other reviews. It may not be the right hoop for you, but it is definitely the right hoop for a lot of people. Let’s first discover the benefits:
It is cake to assemble – It is strong, durable and will last through rough play – Well balanced with a large enough rim (14inch) to fit a regulation sized ball – comes with its own matching basketball – Looks good and overhangs the pool nicely.
Now the Negatives
Rust issue: There are certain reviews with this hoop that say that the rust is overwhelming and bleeds into the pool. Other reviewers say that rust is not a problem and that it was addressed with new stainless steel hardware. Some say the rust comes from the rim.
What can I say. Splash and Shoot takes over #1 and #2. They just make the best pool side hoops, no doubt about it. This hoop is regulation size which may or may not be what you are looking for. I personally prefer it. But I don’t prefer to use a regulation ball. Big hoop small ball makes for a lot more made three pointers which is what I shoot. I quit dunking after I separated my shoulder.
Assembly is easy, no problem. There is one reviewer that said there was some missing hardware and they had to go to the store and buy it separately. There aren’t any complaints of rusting or durability issues. It is certainly a strong pool hoop that is great for teenagers. Once again, not in love with the baby blue but it looks get next to the pool. 5 Star Pool Hoop!
This is an interesting pick at #3. Definitely not conventional. The S.R. Smith Basketball hoop is new to Amazon and doesn’t have any user reviews. If you go their website you can read the product details. It is heavy at 46 lbs. Based on the product specifications, it looks to be a sturdy and strong hoop with heavy uprights and anchors and a safety pad under the backboard.
Instillation: This thing is not as easy as the others to install. It is definitely a more comprehensive install. NOTE: Two in-deck plastic anchors (AS-100P) for concrete decks are required to install the game. You have to install the anchors with the concrete. So if you haven’t done this already, than this is not for you. This is a hoop that you should get if you are installing a pool now. THESE HOOPS ARE SPECIALLY DESIGNED FOR SALT POOLS.
Click Here for The Price on Amazon
Lifetime 1301 Pool Side Basketball System
I think Lifetime makes Great Basketball hoops. I especially like their kids hoops. I may not be doing this hoop justice at #4. It would really be a tough decision between the top four. It would be nice to anchor a hoop into the cement if you have the opportunity. However, if you are going with portable pool hoop, this lifetimes 1306 is a great option. Installation is not terribly difficult, with an estimated start to finish time of 1 hour. It comes with a nice rim and net and the product is heavy duty. Some users say that if you call the company they will send you a new net every 2-3 years or when necessary.
The only major issue that I can see in this hoop is rusting. IF you have a salt pool, you may want to think twice about buying this hoop. There will be rust issues. With a non-salt pool it still may have rust issues where the angle meets the pole and with the rim. Still, definitely a good alternative and worth considering.
This lifetime pool hoop is also well built, sturdy and looks good. No question about it. It is a fun hoop. It is a little more difficult to assemble as some of the parts look similar and there doesn’t appear to be labels on the parts.
There are definite rust issues with this hoop. The problem appears to be coming from the hardware bolts. Other than the rust issue, this is a very well designed pool hoop.
A couple others to consider
At 24 pounds it is not the heaviest of the pool hoops, but I do think it is a good one. Smaller 14′ hoop for play with a smaller ball. Hard plastic backboard. There is one reviewer that had problems with the design. The other reviewers seem to really enjoy it.
Okay fine, I will admit along with the reviewers that this is not the most sturdy pool hoop on the market. You are not going to go crazy with a dunk ball pool game. However, this hoop does have a market for pool hoops. We used to use one of these things. Put it in the shallow end and jump off of the diving board and throw the basketball in the hoop. Very difficult to make it. First to 5 makes wins. I enjoyed it at least.