Stable, tempered glass 60″ backboard, one-piece 5-inch square pole, 3-foot overhang, lifetime warranty
No pole padding
The 98862 is one of three basketball systems produced by Mammoth Basketball. It features a 60″ tempered glass backboard, a 5-inch square pole, and a 3 foot overhang from the pole to the backboard. The adjustment ranges from 7.5-10 feet in infinite increments with the use of a handle assist mechanism. The Spring Flex Rim features a support brace that wraps around the rim. An anchor mount is used for installation. The 98862 is backed by a limited lifetime warranty.
What To Like
- Stable. In-ground hoops provide the best stability. Plus, the heavy tempered glass backboard and 5-inch square pole make it that much more sturdy.
- Tempered glass backboard. Tempered glass is the best of the best, as it’s used in the college and pro ranks. This backboard is 3/8 inches thick, which is pretty close to regulation size (1/2″).
- 60″ backboard. The next biggest size is 72″, which is as big as it gets. What I like about 60″ is that it’s not too big for an average sized, 2 car driveway. Certainly 72″ is ideal, but you would need to have a dedicated playing area because it’s so big.
- Heavy-duty breakaway rim. It looks like a rim you would see in an arena, though it doesn’t break at the sides like the professional ones. Nonetheless, it’s 5/8 inches thick and gives players the freedom to dunk as hard as they want.
- 3-foot overhang. This provides plenty of space so players don’t bump into the pole, while also having more room for play behind the basket.
- Gas assisted mechanism. The hoop raises and lowers with the help of gas springs. A customer noted that his leaked after 5 years. The advantage with gas assisted mechanisms is that they’re easier to adjust than their manual counterparts. The downside of course is that they aren’t as durable.
- One piece 5-inch square pole. The one-piece pole is the most stable, and square ones are more stable than their round counterparts. 5-inches is thick enough for a 60″ backboard.
- Anchor mount installation. This is the best in-ground installation because the pole can be removed from the anchor.
- Limited lifetime warranty. I don’t know what’s covered and what isn’t, but you have to love this as a customer.
Our Mammoth Hoop 7 Years Later (Still in Great Condition)
Reviews from Around the Web
Amazon.com: 5 Stars – ‘I’m thoroughly impressed’
Amazon.com: 5 Stars – ‘The Company Stood behind their 7 year warranty’
What Not To Like
- No pole padding. You would think that a basketball hoop priced over $100 would have padding? Not a huge deal, but the padding makes it more safe and gives it more of a professional look. If you want padding, here is one that fits 5-inch poles: Pole and Gusset Pad.
The Mammoth 98862 performs as a premium basketball hoop should. The tempered glass, 60″ backboard, the 3-foot overhang, and the 5-inch square pole are big pluses. In comparison to the Mammoth 98856, which is a few hundred dollars less, the backboard is 6-inches wider and it has an overhang a 1/2 ft. longer. I think this model is worth the extra money.
For the Cheapest Price, Most Customer Support and best Return Policy we Recommend Amazon.com for your basketball hoop purchase. Orders processed Through Amazon.com