Polycarbonate backboard, breakaway rim, height adjustment, portable, small footprint, easy assembly, customer service
Stability, value, durability
The SKLZ Pro Mini Hoop System can be played on virtually anywhere, whether it be indoors, outdoors, or poolside. It adjusts in height from 3′ to 7′ with the use of a handle. This hoop is primarily suited for children, but adults can use it for playing basketball in the pool. It also has a breakaway rim, which allows children to dunk without being too concerned about breaking it. The polycarbonate backboard is shatterproof. The base comes with wheels, and can be filled with water or sand. Dimensions: 35 x 25 x 9 inches ; 38 pounds.
What To Like
- Polycarbonate backboard. This is a very strong material, as it’s used on real portable and in-ground basketball hoops. It’s durable, and performs well. This is as good as you could expect for a mini-hoop. You see children in the video dunking on it with authority, so it must be strong to hold up over time.
- Breakaway rim. This rim has a lot of give, which will protect the backboard when dunking. It’s pretty neat to see a mini hoop with a breakaway rim like this one. It makes it that much more fun for children to play on.
- Height adjustment. This feature makes it more versatile. Children of all ages can shoot on a hoop like this one, even toddlers. Plus, it can be lowered if placed poolside or indoors if the ceilings are low.
- Portable. It can be used virtually anywhere, plus it’s easy to transport if you decide to relocate.
- Small footprint. Because it’s not a full-sized hoop, it can fit into small spaces. Plus, it can be easily stored.
- Easy assembly. Instructions are easy to follow, and the hoop is pretty lightweight. There aren’t a lot of parts, so it shouldn’t be too much trouble. Most customers said it took about an hour to assemble.
- Customer service. A customer review on Amazon.com mentioned how some parts were missing, and a representative from SKLZ actually replied to the comment. He apologized, then gave their customer service number so they could get the missing parts sent out. You don’t see that very often.
What Not To Like
- Stability. What you gain with portability, you lose with performance. The backboard and rim wobble quite a bit when shooting.
- Value. You can buy the Lifetime 90040 for less money, and it’s actually a 10 foot hoop.
- Durability. While some elements of it appear to be durable, overall the hoop is susceptible to breaking down, particularly if it’s abused. The pole and base aren’t particularly strong. A few customers overall noted that the base was flimsy. A lot of portable hoops have this problem, even some of the more expensive ones. Though, I will say that durability is a problem for any mini hoop, so I wouldn’t be too discouraged by this.
If you are looking for a mini hoop that can be used for a variety of purposes, the SKLZ Pro is one to consider. It’s probably most ideal for those who have children and a pool. It is a basketball hoop that you can put in the driveway for your young children to enjoy. It is a great hoop for children under 10 years of age that would like something better than an indoor plastic hoop but that aren’t ready yet for a full size hoop system.
Orders processed Through Amazon.com